GAPS Diet - Lactose Free Yogurt Recipe.
Using Grade A Raw Milk
Makes 1 Quart
I like to make up to 4 quarts at a time since the culturing process takes up to 24-26 hours and 1 quart goes really fast.
4 cups Grade A Raw Milk
1/4 cup good quality yogurt (such as Nancy’s) with “Live Cultures”
Stainless steel pans
Quart size mason jar(s)
If you make your yogurt from raw milk, you do NOT have to heat the milk to 180 degrees F.
- Heat milk on low, stirring frequently to 110 degrees F.
- Add the live plain yogurt to the milk and stir
- Add the milk to your containers and incubate it for 24 hours. It is important to incubate the yogurt for a full 24 hours at 110 degrees to guarantee all the lactose has been removed.
- Cool yogurt in refrigerator for at least 3 hours before eating.
- Strain in cheese cloth, if you would like a thicker yogurt consistency. The water left from this process is called whey. You can save the whey for other cooking if you like.